Meet the people who have faced adversity and survived. For many of these people, their lives have been saved by the kindness of blood and platelet donors.
“No one truly understands the importance of blood or platelet donations – until someone you know receives them”.
“I can recall every unit of blood, every unit of platelets and every healthcare professional responsible for saving her life.”
- Father and son reach milestone blood donations together - A Pembrokeshire father and son have been recognised by the Welsh Blood Service for donating enough blood to have potentially saved or improved up to 450 lives. Retired Head Verger of St Davids Cathedral, Barrie Webb, from Haverfordwest, was one of the local donors that were recognised at a recent awards ceremony for reaching the … Continue reading Father and son reach milestone blood donations together
- “Thank you kind stranger” – Caerphilly mum pens heartfelt poem to the bone marrow donor that saved her life - A cancer survivor who received a lifesaving bone marrow donation from someone she has never met has written a heartfelt poem to say thank you to the man who saved her life on World Bone Marrow Donor Day (15th September). Kelly Coombes, a 28 year-old mother from Caerphilly, was diagnosed with acute myeloid leukaemia, a … Continue reading “Thank you kind stranger” – Caerphilly mum pens heartfelt poem to the bone marrow donor that saved her life
- Blood donor of 40 years encourages others to give - A Swansea woman who has potentially saved 300 lives by giving blood over the last 40 years is using the NHS’ 70th birthday (July 5) to encourage more people to start donating. Marian Williams, 61 from Killay, is set to celebrate her 100th blood donation this year just months after the NHS turns 70 on … Continue reading Blood donor of 40 years encourages others to give
- Karen’s story - A Caernarfon woman who received three units of blood after trauma during childbirth is using World Blood Donor Day (June 14) to say a big ‘thank you’ to blood donors across Wales. Karen White, 36 of Groeslon, received three units of blood at Ysbyty Gwynedd to support her recovery from a serious Haematoma after having … Continue reading Karen’s story
- Rhydian’s story - A Cardiff man whose mother received blood after giving birth is using World Blood Donor Day (June 14) to say a big ‘thank you’ to blood donors across Wales. Rhydian Bowen-Phillips, 41 of Grangetown, is thanking donors after his mother received blood at Aberdare Hospital to support her recovery following complications during Rhydian’s childbirth. Rhydian … Continue reading Rhydian’s story
- Nettie’s story - Cardiff parents say ‘thank you’ to donors who helped their little girl A mother and father whose daughter received blood products after major surgery at six weeks old is using World Blood Donor Day (June 14) to say a big ‘thank you’ to blood donors across Wales. Nettie, now 20 months old of Llandaff, received … Continue reading Nettie’s story
- Alison’s Story - A Newport woman who received two units of blood when she was pregnant with her daughter is using World Blood Donor Day (June 14) to say a big ‘thank you’ to blood donors across Wales for saving their lives. Alison Powell, 49, received two pints of blood over a three-week period at the Royal Gwent … Continue reading Alison’s Story
- Kosta’s Story - A Cardiff man who relies on blood donations in his role as a medic for the Wales Air Ambulance Charity is using World Blood Donor Day (June 14) to say a big ‘thank you’ to donors across the country. Dr Kosta Morley and his colleagues at the Charity made 50 lifesaving blood transfusions in 2017. … Continue reading Kosta’s Story
- Jennifer’s Story - A Bangor woman who received 22 units of blood during childbirth is using World Blood Donor Day (June 14) to say a big ‘thank you’ to blood donors across Wales. Jennifer Charlton, 43 of Tal-y-bont, received 22 units of blood at Ysbyty Gwynedd to support her recovery from a post-partum haemorrhage that occurred as a … Continue reading Jennifer’s Story
- Rugby players across Wales help to tackle blood disease - As Wales basks in rugby fever, players from local teams across the country are calling on the rugby community to join them in kicking blood cancer into touch after they donated life-saving bone marrow to recipients from across the world. Ioan Evans, Robert Jones and Craig Simms all rugby players, were selected from the Welsh … Continue reading Rugby players across Wales help to tackle blood disease
- Platelet donor makes 656th donation - On 27th June, Keith Orford made his 656th platelet donation! Keith gets two buses to the Welsh Blood Service Talbot Green clinic every 3 weeks to make his platelet donations – such amazing dedication! If you’d like to find out more about becoming a platelet donor, visit bit.ly/giveplateletswales.
- Catherine’s Story - Like many students, Catherine came along to give blood for the first time whilst studying at university. Unfortunately she failed the iron test and the nurse explained she was probably a little anaemic and took a sample of blood to be tested.
- Latifah’s Story - Latifah's eleven year old twin daughters are the picture of health, fun loving girls who like playing on the computer, going to Guides and eating Mum's home made southern fried chicken.
- Lyriacos’s story - Lyriacos Kanias was only 6 months old when he was diagnosed with an inherited blood disorder, thalassemia, which prevented him from making his own red blood cells. To stay alive he faced a lifetime of transfusions.
- Sarah & Charlie’s story - Sarah Hall is a Recruitment Co-ordinator at the Welsh Blood Service never did she think one of her children would need blood.
- Sian’s story - "My family experienced a life changing event which rather put things into perspective for me. My mum had been on dialysis for 2 and a half years before she received the call to go into hospital for a kidney transplant."
- Jay’s story - "I would describe myself as an ordinary guy, busy working, enjoying time with my family and holidays in my caravan. But three years ago I collapsed suddenly at home. My wife found me unconscious on the floor.
- Gareth’s story - At 23 years old, Gareth was a promising young rugby player with a great future ahead of him. The first sign that there was anything wrong was a swelling in his hand.
- Orla’s story - When three year old Orla Galton was diagnosed with leukaemia her family were devastated and feared they may lose her.