Occasionally a donor feels sick, dizzy or faint after giving blood. On rare occasions they may actually faint.
What to do if you feel unwell after a donation
Staff at the donor clinic will take care of you if you feel faint during or after the donation. Please tell us straight away if you have any symptoms of dizziness, sickness or feeling faint.
If you feel faint or dizzy after you leave the clinic you should:
- Sit down or lie down immediately. Try to elevate your legs. If sitting, lower your head.
- If possible, ask a friend or relative to keep an eye on you.
- Wait for your symptoms to settle before getting up slowly.
- Take it easy for the rest of the day. Avoid strenuous exercise or prolonged periods of standing.
- Avoid hot baths/showers or rooms that are too hot.